|Our bathroom windows need help|
Our upstairs bathroom has casement windows and curtains that came with the house. They were nice curtains back in 1999 when we moved in, but have since literally shredded with age.
Also, traditional curtains on traditional rods don't work well with old fashioned casement windows.
|This has been annoying me for fifteen years|
and I'm not talking about the view of our neighbors' house.
Almost the moment we moved in, I added "do something about the bathroom curtains" to my to-do list, but there was always something more pressing, and before the days of online shopping, swing arm curtain rods were hard to find. They are also expensive. Two years ago, I decided to get serious about the bathroom curtains, as they had deteriorated so badly we were draping pillowcases over the curtain rod so people couldn't see in at night. I bought fabric. I put off buying the curtain rods until a few weeks ago, when I finally ordered the cheapest ones I could find from amazon. They are staggeringly expensive.
This weekend, I installed the rods and sewed the curtains. Curtains are the easiest thing to sew, but installing the rods was a bitch. It's not complicated, but I chose a too-small drill bit and then I got two of the screws stuck in the holes and Seamus had to help me wrench them out again and then they were stripped, so I had to find substitute screws. Jon was at work while I did this. I have a thing about taking on projects while he is away, so I can say, "Ta da! Look what I did!" when he gets home.
So the curtains are finished and I am pleased. No more covering the shredded bits with pillow cases; no more awkwardness about opening the windows. The fabric is seersucker, and the pink color is cheerful and imparts a rosy glow to the light in the bathroom. Jon and the kids have all commented on how much better they are.
Also this weekend, I made this hideously ugly but highly serviceable oven mitt. It used to be my favorite sweater, but I deliberately shrunk it to prevent myself from wearing it to work and trying to hide the elbow holes by rolling up the sleeves. Felted wool is the best material for oven mitts. I had to sew most of it by hand because my sewing machine told me fuck off and jammed itself repeatedly until I promised to never make it sew through three layers of felted wool again. I used it while baking bread in a 475 degree oven, and felt no heat at all.
|No thumb, but check the jaunty fur cuff!|